Word of the Year
I first learned about choosing a Word of the Year a couple of years ago. In 2015 I chose “Ponder” based on the verse “Ponder the path of thy feet and let all thy ways be established” (Prov. 4:26). I wanted to focus on the long-term, the eternal perspective, and stop the habit of getting so caught in the short-term hiccups and trials we all face. Focusing on this word and verse allowed me to make some incredible decisions. I set aside some bucket list items (playing in a community symphony) for the best things in life (making memories with friends and families). My word helped me overcome everything I needed to do for the IVF experience that came later that year. There was a power in holding to that word that blessed me immensely, so much so that in 2016 I continued to study and live “ponder.”
In 2017 I was ready for a change and thought long and hard about my word would be. How could I build on “ponder” and continue transforming myself into the person I felt God wanted me to be? With everything I read I searched for my Word of the Year. Finally, I discovered it:
Switching gears a bit, this Word of the Year isn’t based on a scripture verse or really anything. It’s the idea, the almost wanderlust-y sense of adventure that I wanted to capture this year. I want to explore the possibilities, my potential, new places, and new habits. I love how having one word really opens up the possibilities.
As I’ve thought about all the potential for “explore” in this year, I’ve come up with a list of ideas.
- What would it look like if I wasn’t so focused on other’s views of me and just lived my life according to God’s will?
- How can I become a better wife and a better mother?
- How can I increase the closeness and depth of my relationships with my Heavenly Father and Savior, Jesus Christ?
- How much stronger could my body be if I exercised it more consistently?
- What restaurants am I missing out on because I go to the same ones over and over?
- Where can I go to learn more about things that interest me?
- What kind of place would I want to connect and share with other mothers and women?
- How can I show more gratitude for the natural beauty all around me?
- What would it be like to reduce or altogether eliminate the daily negative self-talk?
- How can I encourage and uplift others more regularly?
- How much money could our family save if we changed our spending habits?
- Would I have more energy and be healthier overall if I ate more “clean” foods?
Part of my Word of the Year journey to explore actually includes this blog. I wanted to explore if I could connect with other amazing and talented women using this blog as platform. I appreciate you joining me on this adventure.
I’d love to know your Word of the Year for 2017. Share your word in the comments below.